Chronicle 4 is almost ready, evidenced by the fact that I am finally posting screenshots of the new version. Almost everything is functioning properly, and as you can see, the interface is quite updated. There’s a ton that can’t be seen from these screenshots, but a couple highlights:
The Bill Detail Screen
- Coolest change is the new “Last 12 Months” view on the Payment History graph. Instead of seeing only this year or only last year, you can see a mashup of the last 12 months (this year is in blue).
- Bill icons are now bigger, sidebar is redone, most all icons and graphics redone.
- Most obvious change: calendar view! Bills due are highlighted on the calendar, and hovering over a date tells you which bill is due.
- Not so obvious: you can switch the months forward and backward, and the amount due and amount you paid auto-update, so you can see overall how much you paid in any month, not just the current month.
- Also not obvious from screenshot: you can turn the income option off if you don’t care to track your income in Chronicle.
- Another really cool thing: tagging and filtering. At the top of the overview, you can see a little filter menu, which you can use to Show All Bills, or just show bills with a certain tag. This makes it really easy to separate your business and personal bills, for example, or divide bills up by payment type, by person, or whatever.
As I said, there’s a whole lot else new as well. Everything is refined and updated, and much of the code driving is rewritten to be a lot faster. The code is now on a better foundation for future updates.
Chronicle 4 will be going into beta testing soon—hopefully next week, or perhaps the week after at the latest. If you would like to test Chronicle 4 (current user or not), send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll add you to the beta testing list.